Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Day 2 of Labour Weekend: Something in the Water, Dolphin! Part 1

Woke up early this morning. My body is accustomed to normal working-day hours. I needed no alarm. My eyes will pop wide open with fresh head. Well not so- someone in the dorm snored. Really loud. I can't even hear my dream! But somehow I managed to get back to sleep. Perhaps I was so tired from the bus ride.

It took me awhile to get up. I was just lying idle staring at the ceiling when I started to see light behind the curtain. I went off to shower. Some other people grunted when I tried to open my bag getting my stuff. You know one of those time when you tried to be as quiet as possible but it still loud. I tried to hold my breath and search slowly- it didn't work. Too many plastics in my bag.

As I walked to the town centre, from afar I could see the water. Calm with orange sunrise gleaming on the horizon. Absolutely stunning. I smiled. The sun just make me happy. Here comes the sun do-do-do. You know I have history travelling during bad weather.

God knows how many photos I snapped around the wharf. The orange light seems to make everything looks beautiful. Didn't want to run out of memory (in my camera) when I'm on the boat later.

Breakfast at the end of beautiful Victorian ferry building. Eating Eggs Benedict with orange juice outside, enjoying the sun on my already tan skin. The sound on the wave break on the shore and writing in between mouthful of breakfast. I tell you, I can so can do this everyday. I wished. I wished I was born in a rich family living on the trust fund. or I wished I'm a retiree who could enjoy this everyday of my remaining life. Even though I been here less than 24 hours but something tells me this is paradise on the earth.

Imagine if I come here in bad winter weather. I probably thing this place a hell hole.

At about quarter to 9 , I queued up on the jetty. I was second on the line. Contrast to my previous travel attitude - to be the last. This time I want to be as early as possible so that I could get the best seat on the boat- front row top deck that is. And Indeed early birds get the worm. I secured the best possible port for myself and Graeme.

As the boat moved further out to the open seas, the view is getting better and better. I don't know where to look. Everywhere look so magical in that morning sun with little hint of sea haze. I panned my head left and right just like urban pigeon searching for bread. The first few islands we sailed pass were uninhabited. Not so far in the distance, lots of yachts pulling up their sails. According to the commentary by the skipper, those flocks of yatchs were from Auckland arriving yesterday. They departed at 5pm. Man, I could have hitchhike them to get a ride to Paihia!

Just after we sailed pass Russell, another seaside town across the bay about 20 minutes boat ride but 90 minutes driving! we were called to go to bottom deck for briefing. Urgh, this kills the moment, I said to myself. Probably the word briefing telling something like the do's and the don'ts. Well party yes but it was quiet entertaining actually. The skipper and the rest of the crews sort of joke around and definitely they got me.

Not long after that, they let us go. I resumed what I did previously- appreciating God's creation. Subhanallah, He created New Zealand beautifully. The landscape changed every seconds. I got no words to describe what I saw. Well definitely I saw islands. Some of the island has secluded private beach. Skinny dip!

Then we approached this one island. A private island but hundred years ago the island used to house 600 local Maori. One day in the 18th century , world famous sailor Captain Cook landed there to shelter from bad weather on his way to Gisborne. He brought with him a Tahitian native who could speak English and Maori Te Reo and he was the middle man between the two groups. The Maori provide them shelter until the weather subsided. The provide Captain Cook with fresh vegetable and some other supplies. You see Maori were very accommodative just like the Malays. If any of my relative came to my house, they won't come back with empty boot in their car. Will be full of coconut, banana, bread fruit, etc.

Another islands next to it, connected by sand pit is also privately own. The caretaker of that island has been living there for over 23 years. I would want to work and live there. Who doesn't? It's a paradise. Clear emerald water at your doorstep, frequently visited by dolphins, and owner whom hardly there. He basically got the whole island for himself and his dog. The kid behind me said, "I don't want to live there. No flat screen and PS3! Yes the island has no electricity. If I live there, I'm sure I can entertain myself like talking to a volleyball! But hey, there must be something about the island. Else the caretaker won't last 23 years of his career there.

2 comments:

  1. did u take all the pics? are u using dslr? ur skills are unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nope all these from compact camera saje...maybe one day i'll get one..when is that

    ReplyDelete