Sunday, October 31, 2010

Day 1 of Labour Weekend: The Journey Begins

As I was finishing my last service order, I got a note from Jay to look at the one I made days before. My boo-boo came back at me. I asked Cherlyn to is she could fix it for me. Thank god she's willing. As usually she always saved my ass. I switched of my computer then headed to the lift. Teuila came came as I check my pocket for loose change.

"Bugga, 20 cent. Looks like I gotta walk downtown." I said. She then generously handed me 50 cent. I think she got my subtle hint.

I thought I was on time when I'm at the bus stop but only to realize I was late when I got a call from Graeme. I supposed to meet him in downtown at 4:15 pm and there I was still at the bus stop. Minutes later the bus came.

the weather look stunning. I don't know how many times I've checked the forecast today . Metservice reported it will partly cloudy but as I jumped out of the bus to another bus stop it was sunny blue sky and I was boiling in my jacket. This sort of weather unpredictability I very much appreciated. What more after many times travelling in bad weather and finally I got some good ones.

Graeme already waited me in front of Dicksmith then we walked to bus.


As expected the traffic was pretty bad. It's Friday plus it's a long weekend, plus lots of traffic going up north at this time of the year. Probably Northland is hotter than Auckland. In New Zealand, the southern you go the colder it gets and vice versa. The congestion started right after we crossed the Harbour bridge. Some sources from Twitter said there was an accident and thank god we took the bus- they got special express lane.

The most northern of part of Auckland I've been was Orewa to celebrate New Year back in 2009. The further I go the better the scenery become. No more city life. No more housing estates. Just green. Compared to drive down to Waikato, I personally think up north is way better. Here I could see pine forest and native bush along the state highway instead of just miles and miles of farmlands, cows and sheep. The landscape here more hilly. In some of the hilly grassland, I could picture Hobbit live in the rabbit hole.

An hour driving we reached Warkworth, a cute little Victorian town surrounded by forest and farms and a river run in the middle of the town. Perfect for a mid day dip in the hot summer sun. Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to explore the town. The bus just drop off and picking up passenger. We continued for about half an hour before reaching another town- Wellsford. I've seen this town in Trademe before, while I was browsing for "House to Sell" but I never knew It was this far from CBD. By the way Wellsford and Warkword were in Rodney District one of the many district in Auckland City.

Along the journey, I found so many interesting small towns. If I'm driving I will definitely stop at every town's signboard for photo opp. I can never have enough of pictures. I have over 20,000 photos and most of them I haven't even see. When I finally see them my typical reaction would be, I don't remember take this photo!

At about dusk we reach Whangarei for 15 minutes break. I supposed to overnight in this town for Skydiving trip but the it was fully booked so I have to make another trip in November just to jump off the plane! I started to get motion sickness. I kept burping. I could feel turbulent of wind in my body. An hour later we finally reach Paihia slightly delayed from the schedule by then I was completely exhausted. and dizzy. Almost 9 O'clock, it was passed my dinner time.

I sort of disoriented and loss of direction. Thanks god Graeme found a map and pointed where our hostel were about 5 minutes walk from the Ferry building. I purposely chose accommodation in the town instead of the happening backpackers stretch in Kings Road for this foreseeable unforeseen event! A German girl was also looking for the same hostel. We checked in. The man behind the counter said they were fully booked and most backpackers in town were also the same when he handed us the keys. I made my reservation by the way.


I got to my dorm, popped up some Paracetamol and sleep only to wake up about an hour later when Graeme came back from his night walk searching for milk!

"Everything close after 9!" He said.

"Not even Indian dairy?" I asked. Generalizing, since most diary in Auckland run by Indian or some other Asians.

My eyes feel like sleeping buy my tummy asking to be fed. So I got some 2-minutes rice pack and heat it in microwave. We shared that 1 packet since most of us didn't feel like eating and yet we didn't want to sleep with empty stomach.

Instead of going of bed, I opted for a night walk to the wharf area. Didn't see many people since the receptionist said the beds in town were sold out. Some band were playing near the ferry building but we were not in the mood for noise at that moment. I was just in the mood to admire the town in its night light especially the reflection of lights on the water and continue strolling down the beach while eating hot chips that we got from the food caravan parked on the street.

Long journey, long night. Within seconds when I landed my head on that very thin pillow I dozed off like a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment