Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Ten Ten Ten at Waitomo Caves

So there was I, walking to SkyCity Bus Terminal in crisp cold of Southerlies and realized it was 10th of October '10. I looked at my watch and I definitely way early. The sun wasn't even out yet but signs of orange lining already in the horizon. This time I chose to be early, I missed a flight before and missed the busES (stress on the plurality) so I didn't want this to be my first to miss a tour bus.

Let me tell you what tour I bought. Sometime in August or September I saw good deals on GrabOne (a very good website for everyday deal. Backpacker, this is a must website for you to check out EVERYDAY!)- daytrip to Waitomo Caves with GreatSights. Since I never seen the glowworms (of which Waitomo Caves famous for) then I was like, why not.

I didn't see Christiane despite she texted me she was there. So I went to the toilet. My god, the male toilet smelled like fish and homeless people. I couldn't breath even after I put layers of toilet paper on my noise then I started to wondered where those roles have been. That thought didn't help me fulfill my 'needs' at all. I rushed out and saw Christiane. I grabbed her. Let's go (SkyCity)toilet, I said. She told me she'd been to one. I still dragged her.

As we walked, we saw the bus entered the terminal. After I finished my business we walked back to the terminal and queued up in front of the bus only to be told we needed to check-in at the counter. D-oh. Good thing we got free muffins.

The driver welcome us and started to do commentaries during the journey but we both not even listening to him. We were busy talking. Come on, most stuff that he was talking about either I've heard about it or read about it before. Plus, we both have been living in the country for over 3 years and are we still considered a tourist? We almost locals.

On the way there, the weather looked stunning. Sunny. Totally different from what has been forecasted the night before. Halfway the journey, my bladder started to play up again, Thank god after over 2 hours on the bus, the driver stopped at a cute little small town of Pirongia (it seems like population 5. I barely see locals there) for short break. Perfect. Just what I need. We utilized the break for some photo opp too.

45 minutes later, we reached Waitomo Caves and immediately directed to enter the cave. Our tour guide was a fat lady with really loud voice. Her vocal projection when she welcomed us was full on. She told us the do's and the don'ts and one of it was not to talk in some point of the caves. I was thinking our voice would echo and crack the limestone then the roof collapse then we'd end up like those miners in Chile.

She pointed at the stalagmite and stalactite and asked us to use our imagination to see it more than just rock formation. Mum with baby wrapped in blanket. Small kid. Family Dog. Hardworking dad. Mother in law and the one I loved the most, Kiwi doing bungy jumping! It does really look like a bird tied on the bungy cord. Once started I could stop. My imagination running wild. I wish we could stay longer in the cave and appreciate the rock like a piece of art in gallery.

In the cave there was this area call cathedral, the highest ceiling point in the cave. We looked up and saw hundreds of green lit glowworm. Honestly in my head it looked exactly like Samsung LED! The guide told us this spot is very acoustic and they used to hold singing events there. As expected she asked us to sing a tune. What's a better song to sing that can be sung by tourists from all over the world? -Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

We were then taken to a spot where we could see the glowworm at a closer look. She told us the glowworm has fishing lines (more like tentacles) to catch insect for their dinner. Or lunch. It (the fishing lines) looked absolutely disgusting. It looked slimy. Perhaps
that's how they catch insects with their gluey tentacles.

Once again the guide remind us, we're about to go on the boat ride and I expect you guys to stay quiet.

In my head, oh no please don't collapse!

As we entered another cave, the atmosphere changed. I could see water in that barely lit cave and boats at the end of the plank. Above my head, thousands of glowworm. Lot more of them and its absolutely beautiful.

We got on the boat and it started to drift slowly. It just getting better and better. More and more glowworms on the wall and the ceiling. The water was pretty still and you could see the green reflection. As it entered another cave, I was absolutely blown away. Kazillion of them. Its like billions of emerald stars in the night sky. I could hear water dripping. Sound of running water. It was pretty surreal to me. Its beyond words to describe it but if there's an analogy I would say, I feel like I'm in a scene of Phantom of The Opera.

Then I know why she wanted us to be silent.

I was brought back to reality when the two old Indian tourists whispering. Honestly it was loud. Why can't they enjoy it and hold their thought later outside. They totally ruin my moment. I was picturing myself sleeping in that boat every night of my life.

45 minutes, we reached the end. Not enough. I wanted more. I want to stare on the stalagmite and stalactite for hours. I want to aww, umm, laugh and giggle at what ever picture I had in mind. And when I feel tired I want to sleep in the boat under the millions of glowworms.

The schedule was so tight, we don't even have enough time to look around at the complex and admire the symmetrical almost organic structure and understand the concept. We hopped on another bus to take us back to Auckland. It stopped for 45 minutes at the Big Apple Cafe not far from the caves. Again, I didn't have ample time to explore since the cafe has orchard behind it. I could use some extra time to see how apples, pears, and kiwi trees look like.

Basically I had a good weekend. One thing I learn, I'm not a "tour" person. I prefer to explore myself. Get there myself. Rather than be on schedule and be rushed. I prefer to take my time and absorb the atmosphere and I hate to follow wherever the group go. It made me fee like a sheep. A black one.

Worst part is, I had 3 other scheduled tours in Bay of Islands!

Cost.

GrabOne deal NZd$79
Actual Cost NZD$218
Total Saving NZD$139

4 comments: