Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A Very Much Welcomed Unexpected

On the 4th of September, a 7.1 earthquake shook Christchurch city and obviously caused damages to property. Well only 20% of city was affected but NZ media overly reported it. They'll (media practitioner) dig every possible that can fit in prime time news and that includes news of missing pet! Oh well, small country with 4.1 million population any news is better than no news, right?

Anyway Telecom office in Christchurch was affected. I don't know the size of the damages but the only thing I know the operation were shut temporarily and works were transfered to Auckland as part of the business contingency plan. That means, we were doing some job from Christchurch side. Extra workload. I am not whining about the extra job, I just see it as part of our work but what am I talking about now is the wisdom behind all these things.

Just today, I received a thank you letter appreciating the work we've done during the disaster from Telecom CEO- Paul Reynolds. It was personally signed by him. Not a scanned signature as I assumed. I could see behind the paper, the pen mark. Small details like this, by making an effort to sign each letters plus a well worded letter could really made our day, lifted our morale. As I looked around to my colleagues who received the same letter- they were smiling, laughter in the air, joy and I bet they felt their hardwork and effort appreciated. No one has the same face minutes before they got the letter. Except for Cherlyn, she was traveling all over Asia during the earthquake. She got the sun, we got voucher.

Yes. Enclosed with the letter was a voucher. Not a stinky 10 or 20 or 30 but one hundred freaking fifty dollar! I repeat in numerical, 150 dollar! That's more than one day salary for me. We then immediately checked the out net what voucher can we claim. Lots of retailers and the best part was we could choose whichever we want. I could hear everyone saying 'awesome' and 'cool' and 'liqourland' (kidding) all over the floor. New version of iPod Nano screamed in my head.

Personally I found new respect for Paul Reynolds. I'm sure my other colleagues viewed him as a different person now. So Paul, if TVNZ were to produce 'Undercover Boss', I don't think you should do it. First, you way too tall and we all can recognized you within seconds no matter how you disguise yourself and second, we know you appreciate the work we done in the company. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

1 comment:

  1. That was really nice from him : )
    And for sure when you are recoginize for something that you did feels even better :)
    you feel like an AWESOME PERSON !!!!!

    ReplyDelete